Purpose & Evidence:
- Purpose: The Diagnosis, Intractability, Risk, Efficacy (DIRE) tool assesses the risk of opioid abuse and suitability of candidates for long-term opioid therapy
- Target population: Adults
- Validated by six experts studying patient case vignettes (Passik et al. 2008).
- Showed sensitivity, efficacy, specificity and high internal consistency (Belgrade et al. 2006)
- Specifically designed for primary care use (Passik et al. 2008)
- Patient's DIRE score correlates well with patient compliance and efficacy of long-term opioid therapy (Belgrade et al. 2006)
- Prospective validation needed (Passik et al. 2008).
- Estimated time: 7 items, less than 2 minutes to administer and score
- Length: Prescreen, plus 7 items
- Administered by: Patient Interview
- Intended settings: Primary care
Available Formats & Links: